Ukforums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

U.K. Forums

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Sick of bamboo floor fumes problem

Go down 
AuthorMessage
amy

Sick of bamboo floor fumes problem Empty
PostSubject: Sick of bamboo floor fumes problem   Sick of bamboo floor fumes problem EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 5:43 am

If one has installed a bamboo floor and had trouble with fumes? We purchased Morning Star Bamboo from Lumber Liquidators and installed it in a bedroom. We had planned to do the whole second floor with it but had installation delays--luckily! We noticed a strange, acrid odor right after installation. We weren't using the room much, though, so it wasn't a problem. We just left the window open for a few days, thinking that would take care of it. Well, a couple months later we moved in and the fumes were AWFUL--I mean, make your eyes tear and your nose burn awful. For the past month we have been venting the room with a fan to the outside, but it doesn't seem to be doing much good. We've been sleeping in this room and if we can't ventilate it for at least ten hours first (and we often can't now that the weather is getting so cold) then I wake up with a burning nose and a headache and my husband's eyes swell up. This product supposedly meets "more stringent" European emission standards, but it is definitely causing a health issue for us--perhaps not for folks who don't have allergies or sensitivities or whatever, but for us it is a big problem. LL will not take what's left back. I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar problems with bamboo products and whether they've been able to mitigate it. I don't really want to continue with the installation, but if LL continues to balk at taking it back, we're not sure what we'll do...looking into other flooring options, but if we're saddled with this bamboo, we may not have $$ left over to do anything with this floor and may have to do what we can with ventilating whenever we can! If this is a known health issue with these floors, though, and not "just us" (I do have a type of migraine that makes me sensitive to chemicals) then we want to push LL both to take this stuff back and to stop selling it!
Back to top Go down
kristiamy

Sick of bamboo floor fumes problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sick of bamboo floor fumes problem   Sick of bamboo floor fumes problem EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 7:08 am

This is refinished bamboo? We put down refinished carbonized bamboo from Hawaiian Pacific Flooring about a month ago, and have had no such problem. That has got to be abnormal!

Sick of bamboo floor fumes problem
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ukforums  :: Arts Study :: Study Home Arts-
Jump to: